Sunday, May 26, 2013

Addendum to yesterdays post:

About her painful tooth....."Euuuuuuuuwwwww.....it hurts when I touch it, when I try to eat."  She seems to have managed to eat her dinner but she wants me to know how miserable she is.  "I tried putting some 'Oil of cloves' on it...."  I have heard that that works so I tell her "good idea" and ask if she has taken any Advil for the pain.  She floats off in another direction of conversation, telling me about mail she got from "Marie's daughter - but it just had this in it."  "This" is a prayer card from a funeral for Maries husband and other daughter, obviously they had died.  From the return address it looks like Marie (IJ Bucks secretary from the 1960's) is now living with a daughter in Roselle.  I am afraid she will be asking me to call her like she had me do with another friend.  I end up being in the middle of a conversation(?) between deaf Pearl and her demented friend.....repeating the same stuff over and over again!
Annnnyhow, before I try to get out the door I ask her where her Advil is, "Oh I don't like that, I use Tylenol."  Fine, I take out 2 pills and pour a glass of water.  "2 pills.....nooooo, I don't like to take pain pills."  These are Tylenol, plain Tylenol.  "Well if you don't want to take anything for your discomfort then DON'T COMPLAIN about the pain!!" 
I have to learn how to let her words go in one ear and right out the other.  She is not looking for solutions or suggestions, she just loves to complain!!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, I just realized, your mother in law is Pearl Buck. If you can get her to sign a copy of The Good Earth you will have a fortune.

    ReplyDelete